Saturday, May 16, 2015

Capitol Reef Utah

My cousin convinced me to take the scenic route to the Grand Canyon from Moab, rather than the freeway.  I'm so glad he did.  Its taken almost twice as long, but is a magnificent drive.  I left Moab yesterday around 11, after a nice breakfast with Greg and Mary…



From there I passed through Capitol Reef.  I could've stopped and hiked several of the trails - they all looked intriguing!  I got to the visitor center to find that the campground was closed for the week-end!  No problem, I thought to myself, and asked her about the one a little further up - on route 12.  "Oh that's getting a little slushy."  Excuse me?  Mac doesn't do slush!  So I asked her about other options and she said there was Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands just past the national park and dispersed camping was allowed there… Well, it seems many folks were in the same point, so we kinda had an impromptu campground on BLM grounds.  I got a great spot - here was the view from Mac - and felt safe with so many other families around.  It was such fun!




If you look closely to the distance on the right, there were snow-capped mountains there.

Here's another shot in the changing light as the sun went down…



T and I got up early this morning and were out of there by 7am.  I was eager to get past any potential "slushy" areas while the sun was out and the roads were dry!  It was a beautiful drive - up and over the mountain - my atlas is not giving me the name (I'll look it up later) but its on the way to Escalante - the Grand Staircase.  Here's a shot as we were first starting up.  Yep!  That's snow!  It was 28 degrees…



View from the top...

Now I'm halfway to my next stop, just north of the Grand Canyon.  I got reception here, so I stopped by the side of the road to get the blog out.  Such dedication!  ; )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the red earth...would make some nice pots...