Sunday, May 23, 2010

More on the Canyon...


Got some more photos off the other camera... so after starting out at the rim of the canyon, it got hot...first Theo found shade - dug himself a nice little hole to snooze in under a bush... after I finished the watercolor I moved to the same bush to work on a canvas in the shade. The light is intense. Didn't get the canvas finished, but made a good start. Will try to finish it from photos but I know that's not the same. Still if I do it while the trip is still fresh I hope to catch some of that spirit.

Its ironic that the wider the expanse you want to try to paint, the smaller each part has to be to fit... for example, if I wanted to just focus on one rock outcropping, then that could take up the entire canvas... but if I wanted to show the whole view in front of me, that same rock outcropping would have to be a small part...its one reason I like to paint big...

No comments: